Movie2k Movies - Green Lantern Synopsis
Green Lantern is a 2011 superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name. The film stars Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan, with Martin Campbell directing a script by Greg Berlanti and comic book writers Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim, which was subsequently rewritten by Michael Goldenberg.
Green Lantern was released on June 17, 2011, in 3D.
Movie2k Movies - Green Lantern Plot (Spoiler Alert!)
Millions of years before the Earth was formed, a group of beings called the Guardians of the Universe used the green essence of willpower to create an intergalactic police force called the Green Lantern Corps. They split the universe into 3,600 sectors, with one Green Lantern per sector. One such Green Lantern, Abin Sur (Temuera Morrison) of Sector 2814, defeated the fear-essence being Parallax (voiced by Clancy Brown) and imprisoned him in the Lost Sector on the ruined planet Ryut. However, in the present day, Parallax escapes from his prison. Six months later, after killing four Green Lanterns and destroying two planets, Parallax attacks Sector 2814 and mortally wounds Abin Sur, who escapes and crash-lands on Earth. The dying Abin Sur commands his ring to find a worthy successor on the planet.
Ferris Aircraft test pilot Hal Jordan (Ryan Reynolds) is chosen by the ring and transported to the crash site, where Abin Sur appoints him a Green Lantern, by telling him to take the lantern and speak the oath. At home he says the oath of the Green Lanterns while under trance from the glow of the lantern. After he gets attacked while leaving a bar Jordan swings to punch one of his attackers, letting out a huge fist of green energy, afterwards Jordan is whisked away to the Green Lantern Corps home planet of Oa, where he meets and trains with Tomar-Re (voiced by Geoffrey Rush) and Kilowog (voiced by Michael Clarke Duncan). He encounters Corps leader Sinestro (Mark Strong), who is not pleased that a human—which is primitive compared to other species—has become a Green Lantern. With Sinestro seeing him as unfit and fearful, Jordan quits and returns to Earth, keeping the power ring and lantern.
Meanwhile, after being summoned by his father Senator Robert Hammond (Tim Robbins) to a secret government facility, scientist Hector Hammond (Peter Sarsgaard) performs an autopsy on Abin Sur’s body. A piece of Parallax inside the corpse inserts itself inside Hammond, mutating the scientist and giving him telepathy and telekinetic powers, at the cost of his sanity. After discovering that he was only chosen due to his father’s influence, Hammond resentfully attempts to kill his father by telekinetically sabotaging his helicopter at a party. However, Jordan uses his ring to save the senator and the party guests—including his childhood sweetheart, Ferris manager and fellow test pilot Carol Ferris (Blake Lively), who later recognizes Jordan under the suit and mask. Shortly afterward, Jordan encounters Hammond, who succeeds in his second attempt to kill his father by burning him alive. Both Jordan and Hammond realize Parallax is on his way to Earth.
Back on Oa, the Guardians tell Sinestro that Parallax was once one of their own, until he desired to control the yellow essence of fear, only to become the embodiment of fear itself. Believing the only means to fight fear is by fear itself, Sinestro requests for the Guardians to forge a ring of the same yellow power, preparing to concede Earth’s destruction to Parallax in order to protect Oa. However, Jordan appears and tells Sinestro not to use the yellow ring and for the Corps to help him protect his planet from Parallax’s imminent invasion. They deny his request, but allow Jordan to return and protect his home planet.
Upon returning to Earth, Jordan saves Ferris from being injected with Parallax’s essence by Hammond. Parallax then arrives, consuming Hector’s life force for failing to kill Jordan, and then wreaking havoc on Coast City. Jordan lures Parallax away from Earth and toward the Sun, using the Sun’s gravity to pull and disintegrate the entity. He loses consciousness after the battle, but is saved by Sinestro, Kilowog, and Tomar-Re before the entire Green Lantern Corps congratulates him for his bravery. Sinestro tells Jordan he now bears the responsibility of protecting his sector as a Green Lantern. Sometime later when he is alone, Sinestro, still in possession of the yellow ring, places it on his finger, causing his green suit to change to yellow.
Movie2k Movies - Green Lantern Cast
- Ryan Reynolds as Hal Jordan:
- A test pilot for the Ferris Aircraft Company who becomes a Green Lantern and the first earthman ever inducted into the Green Lantern Corps. Reynolds said, “I’ve known about ‘Green Lantern‘ my whole life, but I’ve never really followed it before. I fell in love with the character when I met with Martin Campbell”. Reynolds called the film “an origin story to a certain degree, but it’s not a labored origin story, where the movie begins in the third act. The movie starts when it starts. We find out Hal is the guy fairly early on, and the adventure begins”. Alternatively Chris Pine and Sam Worthington had been in discussions for the role. Bradley Cooper, Jared Leto and Justin Timberlake were other top contenders, while Brian Austin Green, a Green Lantern fan, campaigned for the part, but ultimately did not audition.
- Blake Lively as Carol Ferris:
- The vice president of Ferris Aircraft and a long-time love interest of Hal Jordan. One pseudonymous writer citing unnamed sources said Lively was among five leading contenders that included Eva Green, Keri Russell, Diane Kruger and Jennifer Garner. About her stunt work in which she rehearsed with stunt coordinator Gary Powell (Casino Royale, The Bourne Ultimatum, Quantum of Solace), gymnastic acrobats from Cirque du Soleil and used aerial stunt rigs created for The Matrix, Lively explained, “Our director likes it real—the fights close and dirty… I’m 40 feet in the air, spiraling around. That’s the best workout you can ever do because it’s all core… You do that for ten minutes and you should see your body the next day! It’s so exhilarating, so thrilling—and nauseating”.
- Peter Sarsgaard as Dr. Hector Hammond:
- A scientist who is exposed to the yellow energy from the fear entity, Parallax, that causes his brain to grow to enormous size, granting him psionic powers. Regarding his preparation for the role, Sarsgaard stated, “I actually did hang with this biologist from Tulane that was I think just the most eccentric guy they could find. He was entertaining, and he and I actually worked on my lecture that I give in [Green Lantern], which I kept royally f—ing up.” About his character Sarsgaard remarked, “He’s got shades of gray. It’s eccentricity on top of eccentricity”.
- Mark Strong as Thaal Sinestro:
- A Green Lantern and Hal Jordan’s mentor. Strong affirmed that the film will follow the origin story, “the film closely follows the early comics. Sinestro starts out as Hal Jordan’s mentor, slightly suspicious and not sure of him because obviously Hal is the first human being who’s made into a Green Lantern. He’s certainly very strict and certainly unsure of the wisdom of Hal becoming a Green Lantern“. Strong said the character “is a military guy but isn’t immediately bad. It’s the kind of person he is that lends himself to becoming bad over the course of the comics being written, but initially he’s quite a heroic figure.” He also revealed that the outfit and other aspects of the character very closely follow the character’s early days, “That widow’s peak and thin mustache was for some reason originally based on David Niven…. So I would like to do justice to the Sinestro that was conceived for the comic books”.
- Angela Bassett as Dr. Amanda Waller:
- A former congressional aide and government agent. About the differences between the comic book and film character Bassett said, “Well, I’m not 300lbs,” but added that her character does have “that intellectual, that bright, that no-nonsense, that means business [personality]. [She's] getting it done and in the trenches nothing fazes her”.
- Tim Robbins as Robert Hammond:
- A United States senator and the disapproving father of the movie’s villain, Hector Hammond.
- Temuera Morrison as Abin Sur:
- A Green Lantern who crash lands on Earth and recruits Hal Jordan as his replacement. Morrison said it took four to five hours to put on the prosthetic makeup for the character. About filming with Ryan Reynolds, Morrison commented, “We did the whole scene together where I give him the ring, our suits are CGI so we had these grey suits with things on them so it was cool and working with Martin Campbell again was great too”.
- Taika Waititi as Thomas Kalmaku:
- An Inuit engineer at Ferris Aircraft. Waititi said he was cast after a Warner Bros. casting agent saw his performance in Boy, which he also wrote and directed. Waititi – who has a Jewish mother and Maori father – says the production “had an opening for a role in the film for someone who wasn’t, I don’t [know], not-white or not-black.”
- Geoffrey Rush as the voice of Tomar-Re:
- A bird-beaked member of the Green Lantern Corps who teaches Hal Jordan how to use his cosmic powers. Rush stated he was not initially familiar with Green Lantern but was drawn to the part after seeing the concept art explaining, “When I got the offer for it I said, ‘Haven’t they made that film?’ They said, ‘No, it’s a completely computer-generated character.’ I saw the artwork and I said, I would love to be that guy. Because I had voiced an owl in Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole and I’d voiced a pelican in Finding Nemo and I thought I could really improve on that now by being half-bird, half-fish, part lizard. You don’t get to do that in a live-action film.” Rush compared the role to previous roles where he played a mentoring figure, “You could say that I’ve mentored Queen Elizabeth I as [Sir Francis] Walsingham, and [Leon] Trotsky has mentored Frida Kahlo and now Tomar Re is going to mentor Hal Jordan, and I was sort of mentoring King George VI in The King’s Speech. But I can’t imagine Tomar Re setting up an office on Harley Street in London. They’re all very different people to me, but there is a kind of theme I suppose”.
- Michael Clarke Duncan as the voice of Kilowog:
- A drill sergeant trainer of new recruits for the Green Lantern Corps. About the character, Duncan, a fan of the comic book, stated, “He’s a real type of tough guy who knows everything, and actually in one of the comic books he and Superman fought to a tie”.
- Clancy Brown as the voice of Parallax:
- A former Guardian of the Universe who was imprisoned by Abin Sur after he was exposed to the yellow energy of fear.
Additionally, Jon Tenney plays Martin Jordan, Hal Jordan’s father. Jay O. Sanders portrays Carl Ferris, an aircraft designer and father of Carol Ferris and Mike Doyle is cast as Jack Jordan, Hal Jordan’s older brother.
Movie2k Movies - Green Lantern Production Notes
In early 1997, Warner Bros. approached cult filmmaker and comic book writer Kevin Smith, who had then just finished writing Superman Lives, to script a Green Lantern film. Smith turned down the offer, believing there were other suitable candidates to make a Green Lantern movie. Warner Bros. eventually changed the direction of the film into that of a comedy; by 2004, Robert Smigel had completed a script which was set to star Jack Black in the lead role. However, the studio dropped the comedy idea due to poor fan reaction on the Internet. In October 2007, Greg Berlanti signed to direct the film and co-write it with comic-book writers Michael Green and Marc Guggenheim. A draft of the trio’s 2008 script, leaked on the Internet, revealed a story that included the hero’s origin and included the characters Carol Ferris, Kilowog, Sinestro, and Guy Gardner in a cameo appearance, and appeared “to set up Hector Hammond as Hal Jordan’s … first major nemesis….”
Shortly afterward, Guggenheim said that the script would contain characterizations inspired by the Denny O’Neil-Neal Adams run on the comic in the 1970s, and Dave Gibbons’ work in the early 1980s. He added that he and his co-writers also looked to the 2000s Geoff Johns stories, saying, “It’s been interesting because we finished a draft just before [Johns'] ‘Secret Origin’ [story arc] started up. So I’ve been reading ‘Secret Origin’ with a real interest in seeing ‘OK, how did Geoff solve this problem?’ There are certain elements just for anyone trying to retell Hal’s origin for a modern day audience has to address and grapple with. For example, why the hell was Abin [Sur] flying in a space ship when he’s a Green Lantern? You don’t ask that question back in the Silver Age, but when you’re writing in the Modern Age, you have to answer these things.”
By December 2008, the writers had written three drafts of the screenplay and Warner Bros. was preparing for pre-production. However, Berlanti was forced to vacate the director’s position when Warner Bros. attached him to This Is Where I Leave You, and in February 2009, Martin Campbell entered negotiations to direct. The release date was set as December 2010, before being moved to June 17, 2011.
Bradley Cooper, Ryan Reynolds, Justin Timberlake and Jared Leto were the producers’ top choices for the starring role in July 2009. On July 10, Warner Bros. announced that Reynolds had been cast as Hal Jordan/Green Lantern. A website reported on January 7, 2010, that a crew-member had written on her blog that the film was greenlit the day before and that filming would begin in 10 weeks. Also in January, Blake Lively was cast as Carol Ferris, Peter Sarsgaard was in negotiations to portray Hector Hammond, and Mark Strong was in negotiations to play Sinestro. In February, Tim Robbins joined the cast as Senator Hammond. The following month, New Zealanders Temuera Morrison and Taika Waititi had joined the cast as Abin Sur and Tom Kalmaku, respectively.
With a production budget of $200 million, Green Lantern was initially scheduled to begin filming in November 2009 at Fox Studios Australia. The start date was pushed back to January 2010, but the production moved to Louisiana, where, on March 3, 2010 test footage was filmed in Madisonville involving stunt cars. Principal photography began on March 15, 2010 in New Orleans. Nine days after filming began, Angela Bassett joined the cast as Dr. Amanda Waller, a government agent who is a staple of the DC Comics universe.
In April filming took place at the University of New Orleans. The film crew and cast shot interior scenes during the day in the Science Building, over the course of the university’s Spring Break recess. Also in April Jon Tenney revealed that he will play Hal Jordan’s father, test pilot Martin H. Jordan. By June 2010 filming had begun at New Orleans Lakefront Airport. In the same month it was reported that Mike Doyle has been cast for the role of Jack Jordan, the older brother of Hal Jordan.
In July 2010 it was reported that Ryan Reynolds was injured while shooting scenes for Green Lantern, separating his shoulder and was in “lots of pain”.
- 2k movies
- Clancy Brown
- Comic Book Writers
- Corps Leader
- Crash Lands
- Crash Site
- Dc Comics Character
- download movies
- film downloads
- free films
- free online movie downloads
- Geoffrey Rush
- Get Unlimited Access to 80 MILLION Free Movies
- Green Lantern
- Green Lantern Corps
- Greg Berlanti
- Hal Jordan
- latest movies
- Mark Strong
- Martin Campbell
- Michael Clarke Duncan
- Michael Goldenberg
- Michael Green
- movie review
- movie2k movie
- movie2k movie poster
- movie2k movie review
- movie2k movie trailer
- Movie2k Movies
- movies 2k
- movies online
- movies2k movie
- movies2k movie poster
- movies2k movie review
- movies2k movies
- new watch movies online
- online movies
- Plot Spoiler
- Ryan Reynolds
- Spoiler Alert
- Temuera Morrison
- Test Pilot
- tv series
- tv shows
- watch films
- watch free movies
- Watch Full Movies Online
- watch movies
- watch movies online
- watch tv
- Worthy Successor